The primary purpose of ISBA Legal Services is to provide advisory and consulting services to Indiana public school corporations that join the ISBA. School corporation membership in the ISBA gives individual board members the status of client membership and they, along with their administrative staffs, attorneys, and consultants, may seek legal counsel from any of the ISBA attorneys.
In addition to daily advisory and consulting services, the ISBA Legal Staff provides the following:
– Two School Law Seminars (June and December).
– As-needed regional workshops in critical areas, such as reduction in force.
– Annual seminars on topics involving students with disabilities and collective bargaining.
– Legal memoranda addressing significant topics and court rulings.
– Presentations at administrator and teacher in-services upon member request.
– Presentations to education-related groups, including universities, study councils, and associations.
– Quarterly articles in the ISBA Journal covering significant legal developments, including major cases, policies, and legislation.
– Submission of “friend of the court” briefs to appellate courts on legal issues that are significant and have statewide impact.
– Regionally-conducted topical workshops every fall on such important areas as student discipline and due process, employee documentation and discharge, and school attendance.
ISBA members may contact any of the attorneys below:
|Lisa F. Tanselle, Esq.
(317)639-0330 Ext. 110
|Julie M. Slavens
(317)639-0330 Ext. 111